Friday 13 July 2012

Learn Something New Every Day

These OTN Tours are hard work, but they are also fun. Readers may not be interested but I wanted to share a little story from last night in Honduras.

So not long ago I talked about pushing myself to learn something new every day, and people laugh about my trips into technology; but one area I have very little skills in is languages.

Again I am saying how impressed I am when foreign speakers listen to my talks in English and I take it for granted that their ability to understand

Anyway Joel Perez from Costa Rica decided to teach Tim Hall and I some simple Spanish, and written here in Spanish it looks incredibly simple, but it took us all evening to try and get this to sound fluent and never achieved it.

Hola Debra, ¿cómo estás?
Hola Tim, estoy bien
¿Qué estás haciendo aquí?
Estoy comiendo con mis amigos

hallo Debra, how are you?
hallo Tim, I am fine
 

What are you doing here?
I am eating with my friends
 
However it was such good fun and Tim was intending to start his presentation with Good Morning, my name is Tim etc but in the bus on the way over he got confused and said, Hallo, My name is Tim, what are you doing here? Not the best introduction for a conference presentation, but very funny.

But he did good for real, better than me who never even tried.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you minԁ iif I quotе a сouple of уour posts as long as I prоviԁe creԁit and sοuгcеs bаck
to уour ωebpage? My website іs iin the
verу sаme аrеa of іnteгest
aѕ yоurs and my visitors ωоulԁ truly bеnеfit from a lot off the infоrmatіоn yοu
present here. Ρleaѕe leet me know іf this ok wіth you.
Appreсiate it!

my ωeb pаge practice spanish

Debra Lilley said...

honoured and thank you for asking