Wednesday 18 September 2013

My Oracle Open World 2013



I am writing this at 30,000 feet as I fly to that annual jamboree Oracle Open World.

This year (as ever) I intended to work on a quieter OOW and only submitted 3 sessions; last year I gave 6. Initially I had no sessions accepted and at first I was really disappointed, but a lot of my peers are similar, and many of those who have got sessions are user group session and not so much the mainstream. I think that actually Oracle are deciding the topics and then sourcing more, and in reality that often works well. Anyway, I then got asked to give a session on behalf of Fujitsu as part of their Marquee Sponsorship and will be speaking about the process of making a decision about Fusion Applications, with a great case study.

Then Oracle have asked me to interview Jeremy Ashley VP Development about the user experience team’s work, I interviewed Jeremy at UKOUG last year and it was thought that would work for the Partner Exchange at OOW.

As I said Fujitsu are the Marquee sponsor and we have a very busy program and I will be meeting with Analyst and Key Customers with them, and our VIP program including the appreciation event.

Thanks to OPN I am attending as a blogger and missing out on the queues for keynotes is always well appreciated.

There are usergroup meetings and events and I hope to make a few of those, but then there are partner events and EMEA events and my dance card is as ever full. Apart from my own sessions I want of course to see some Fusion Applications, so excited that the Simplified UI is now available with release 7 which has just been released, but my roots are in E Business Suite and I am hoping that we finally get 12.2 and all it promises. The timelag between technical promise and it coming to fruition in apps had been drastically reduced but this has taken far too long.

I will be attending part of the Oracle Usability Advisory Board which is a great way to have influence and what is coming. I will try and get along to some of the SOA Partner Community which is the best of all the groups I find for working with partners to ensure success. One thing I am really looking forward to is learning more about AppsAdvantage, Oracle Application customers using more technology, and I will be blogging about that soon.

I have been asked to join the Women in IT panel at OakTable World which I am really looking forward to, not least because the line up of women is an excellent group of experts in their fields. Amazed I am still there after my WIT blog recently. Unfortunately my OPN Exchange session clashes with the 2nd session so I will only do the one. I will also be attending the Oracle Woman’s’ Leadership or OWL conference.

I am an guest of OTN and the ACE program and the briefings at Oracle HQ the week before are always excellent, and I honestly learn more there than at OOW.

And for fun I am swimming in the Bay Monday morning, as well as Chi Gung in Union Square as many mornings as possible, so if I don’t get a chance to say hallo don’t take it personally.

Monday 10am  OakTableWorld  WIT Panel

Tuesday 3:45 PM - 4:45 PM -         Marriott Marquis - Club Room  CON9817  
OPN Exchange Applications User Experiences in the Cloud: Tailoring, Trends, and Strategy

                   
Wednesday 3pm – 4pm    MW2000  CON11164
Shaping Your Tomorrow: Planned Upgrade/Migration to Oracle Fusion Applications

No comments: